Here is the document that we handed out last Sunday night. It is designed to help parents to wisely evangelize their own children. It is a resource put out by John MacArthur’s church as part of their “Distinctives” series and is also included in their curriculum, Generations of Grace, which we are using for the kids during our Sunday School hour.
Common Pitfalls In Evangelizing Children:
- Oversimplifying the Gospel of Christ
- Coercing a Profession of Faith
- Assuming the Reality of Regeneration
- Assuring the Child of Salvation
- Rushing the Ordinance of Baptism
Foundational Keys to Evangelizing Children
- Setting a Consistent Example of Godliness
- Proclaiming the Complete Gospel of Christ
- Understanding the Biblical Evidence of Salvation
- Encouraging Possible Signs of Conversion
- Trusting the Absolute Sovereignty of God
If you are a parent, get it and read the whole thing. Think it through and then read it again. It is very different in its approach than the philosophy of children’s ministry that is commonly found today. But it is not novel. This document is really just presenting basic biblical theology and it is making a specific application to kids. We will have more training to follow. I look forward to seeing you there!