I have been encouraged as Rick Hensley and I have begun meeting periodically with a group of like-minded pastors from various points in Delaware and beyond. I am thankful to the Lord for allowing this kind of loose fellowship to develop and I would ask you to pray for this group of men. Specifically, you can pray:
- That God would be honored by the open gestures of Christian fellowship among the under-shepherds that He has appointed to lead in the various churches which are represented.
- That we would be able to encourage one another with humble love and the affection that comes from hearts enlarged by God’s grace. And that the ugliness of pride which remains in all of our hearts would be increasingly submitted to the lordship of Christ.
- That we would be able to encourage and stimulate one another with thoughtful biblical, theological and practical discussion.
- That we would be careful to avoid the pitfalls of naive ecumenism which erases important congregational and doctrinal distinctions while at the same time embracing the genuine unity of the Spirit on the basis of the cross of Christ.
- That the testimony of gospel togetherness among gospel churches would convey the true reality of Zion’s heavenly unity which is a powerful message to a watching world.
One of the specific things that we are involved in is a book study of Jonathan Leeman’s book: The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love: Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline.
If you would like to individually study this book at the same time we are reading it please feel free to pick it up and interact with us over it.
The table of contents is below:
Part 1 Love Misdefined
- The Idolatry of Love
Part 2 Love Redefined
- The Nature of Love
- The Rule of Love
- The Charter of Love
- The Covenant of Love
Part 3 Loves Lived
- The Affirmation and Witness of Love
- The Submission and Freedom of Love
The schedule of our pastoral reading and discussion is below:
(1) Jan – Chps. 1-3, pp.15-168.
(2) Feb – Chps. 4–5, pp. 169-272.
(3) Mar – Chps. 6-7, pp. 273-356.
(4) Apr – Summary discussion of book with Jonathan Leeman.
If you are a pastor, and would like further information about this fellowship, please feel free to contact me via the side bar link to our church website.